“If I were in your shoes, I’d go for it.”
These were the encouraging words from my photography mentor in late November of 2018. He had just wrapped up an hour’s worth of reviewing my top fifty or so images in his home. The question lingering in the air was “Are my photos professional and quality enough to start selling and entering art shows?” He isn’t the sort to pander or tickle my ears. I’ve received plenty of blunt assessments in the past to know he wouldn’t get my hopes up if he didn’t think I was ready.
After asking him multiple times if he was sure, diving into projections he best could offer through five years of experience, I left his home feeling both ecstatic and nervous.
I devoted 2018 to learning photography and shooting as much as I could. I haven’t yet totaled the state parks I visited but it’s around twenty. I definitely got around and photographed one to three times a week. In the back of my mind, I held onto the possibility of marketing and selling my work in early 2019, but I resisted doing anything besides having fun for a while. I didn’t want work and money to steal my joy for photography. But my mentor’s combined encouragement pushed me over the edge into the business side. It’s very early but I’ve found this new side of photography to be a challenge that is both exciting and one I can embrace. That’s also due to learning. I love gaining new skills and education.
My photography has a long way to go. But look how far it has come. This image below is what I was pleased with in December of 2017.
Compare that with this beauty:
Now it’s exciting news time:
- Josh Driver Photography, LLC is my official new and first business name.
- My best images can be found on my website: joshdriverphotography.com and are for sale there and directly through me.
- I primarily focus on selling metal prints using ChromaLux and it’s the best aluminum anywhere.
- I will be applying for a dozen summer and autumn shows in the Midwest in February.
- My metal prints will be on display at Dunn Bros from February 4th to March 4th.
- I’m starting a photography podcast.
Contact me if interested in any of my metal prints as it is currently cheaper to avoid the middle man online and order through me. All funds go back into the business and paying off student loans!
I appreciate you taking the time the read my updates. I never thought becoming a professional photographer would be a serious venture for me. Stay tuned!